Yahoo Education has a plethora of great reference materials available for pretty much anything you want to look up. Here are just a few of the great resources that Yahoo Education has to offer.
Yahoo Education Overview
- Yahoo Thesaurus:"Containing 260,000 synonyms and cross-references in an easy-to-use format, this online thesaurus features succinct word definitions and an innovative hyperlinked category index."
- World Factbook: "The U.S. government's complete geographical handbook, featuring 267 full-color maps and flags of all nations. Each country profile tracks such demographics as population, ethnicity and literacy rates, as well as political, geographical and economic data."
- Spanish-English Dictionary: "Featuring American English and Latin American Spanish, it contains 70,000 entries, with more than 120,000 meanings. Nuevamente revisado e actualizado para el siglo 21, The American Heritage Spanish Dictionary, Second Edition es indispensable para estudiantes, turistas y gente de negocios."
- Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: "This tenth edition of 1919 contains over 11,000 searchable quotations and was the first new edition of John Bartlett's corpus to be published after his death in 1905-the new editor, however, choosing more to supplement than revise the work of the first name in quotations."
- Gray's Anatomy: "The Bartleby.com edition of Gray's Anatomy of the Human Body features 1,247 vibrant engravings - many in color - from the classic 1918 publication, as well as a subject index with 13,000 entries ranging from the Antrum of Highmore to the Zonule of Zinn."
- Conversion Calculator: Convert from and to, choosing which measurement you'd like to go by.
- Yahoo Dictionary: "n online searchable dictionary with over 200,000 entries, 70,000 audio word pronunciations, and 900 full-page color illustrations."
- Reference in the Yahoo! Directory. Huge, extensive variety of reference information. Includes patents, phone numbers, libraries, Ask an Expert, country profiles...even parliamentary procedures.
- U.S. Government in the Yahoo! Directory. This particular directory has many sub-directories neatly categorized. Check out the government's three branches, Homeland Security, Law, Civic Participation, and then be sure to visit the sites that are listed within this directory; such as Ben's Guide To US Government for Kids.
- Regional Info. Yahoo's regional directory includes all fifty states, world regions (such as the Middle East, Antarctica, and the Caribbean), and countries; as well as geography links and various web directories.
- Yahoo! Social Science. As an English major, I'm especially fond of this site. Check out books, anthropology links, social research, gerontology, humanities, and many, many more.