Definition: In the context of Web search, a virus is a piece of software or code that is specifically designed to make its way onto a user's computer without their express permission. A virus can:
- self-replicate to a point where it actually controls the operating system
- erase hard drives and memory
- manipulates a computer to do what it wasn't originally meant to do
How to protect yourself against a virus
- Protect Yourself from Spyware: Viruses can be easy to pick up on the Web if you're not careful.
- Common Sense Web Safety: Most viruses can be avoided using a few common sense rules on the Web.
- Top Ten Ways to Get Infected: Stay safe on the Web with just a few simple precautionary measures.
- Free Virus Removal Tools: A comprehensive list of virus fighting tools, tips, and repairs.
Also Known As: malware, spyware