"Black Hat" search engine optimization is customarily defined as techniques that are used to get higher search rankings in an unethical manner. These black hat SEO techniques usually include one or more of the following characteristics:
- breaks search engine rules and regulations
- creates a poor user experience directly because of the SEO techniques utilized on the Web site
- unethically presents content in a different visual or non-visual way to search engine spiders and search engine users.
Techniques To Avoid
- Keyword stuffing: Packing long lists of keywords and nothing else onto your site will get you penalized eventually by search engines. Learn how to find and place keywords and phrases the right way on your Web site with this article titled Learn Where And How To Put Keywords In Your Site Pages.
- Invisible text: This is putting lists of keywords in white text on a white background in hopes of attracting more search engine spiders. Again, not a good way to attract searchers or search engine crawlers.
- Doorway Pages: A doorway page is basically a "fake" page that the user will never see. It is purely for search engine spiders, and attempts to trick them into indexing the site higher. Read more about doorway pages.
Unethical, shady, or just over the line SEO is tempting; after all, these tricks actually do work, temporarily. They do end up getting sites higher search rankings; that is, until these same sites get banned for using unethical practices. It's just not worth the risk. Use efficient search engine optimization techniques to get your site ranked higher, and stay away from anything that even looks like it might not be in the guidelines that search engines set out for webmasters. Here's a few articles that can get you on the road to knowing search engine optimization:
- Ten Search Engine Optimization Myths - Debunked!: There is a lot of misinformation floating around about what SEO really is.
- Top Ten Tips to the Top of the Search Engines: Jill Whalen is a recognized industry expert in search engine optimization, and here are her top ten tips for getting your website ranked higher.
- Ten Steps to a Well-Optimized Site: Practical tips you can implement right now on any website with a minimum of time and effort.