The most well-known Web extensions are .com, .edu, .net, and .org.
- .com: short for "commercial"; most popular Web extension
- .org: short for "organization"; mostly non-profits, but can be used for any type of organization
- .gov: short for "government"; usually a federal site, but also can indicate a state site
- .edu: short for "educational"; most domains with an .edu extension are education-related
- .net: short for "network"; many ISPs (Internet Service Provider) and networks use a .net extension.
There are many more Web extensions than this, for example, each country also has a unique Web extension assigned to them (.uk for the United Kingdom, .fr for France, etc.). For a more specific breakdown of the various kinds of Web extensions, read What is a Top Level Domain Name?.