There are so many great kids sites out there on the Web; here's a few that I visit with my own kids:
Science For Kids
- Science Toys: " Make toys at home with common household materials, often in only a few minutes, that demonstrate fascinating scientific principles."
- Cool Science for Curious Kids: from the
Howard Hughes Medical Institute; explore biology with all sorts of really interesting
articles and interactive games.
- Bill Nye the Science Guy: Can I just say
how much I love Bill Nye? He's long been a favorite in our house.
- MadSciNet: Anything called the "24 hour exploding
laboratory" just can't be wrong.
- NASA Kids Club:Anything from
NASA is bound to be incredible, and NASA Kids Club is no exception to that.
Biology for Kids
- Kid's Planet: Includes facts, games, a
teacher's section, and even information how kids can act to save endangered species.
- National Wildlife Federation: the official home of
Ranger Rick and more; you can click on the Wildlife
link and get more specific animal info.
- A Guided Tour of the Visible Human: There's an
enormous amount of information here; great for the budding biology major.
- Human Anatomy Online: Pick a system,
any system - skeletal, digestive, muscular, etc.
- KidsHealth: this is a really good
kids health site aimed towards kids, instead of parents. Great resource for science research
but also an excellent source for questions such as "what is puberty?"
- Wonders of the Seas: Explore the
ocean and the creatures that live in its depths.
- DinoDictionary: "With profiles of over 300 known dinosaurs, immerse yourself in a wealth of knowledge about the giants that roamed the earth so long ago!"
History for Kids
- History for Kids: all sorts of good stuff here,
organized by regions (China, India, West Asia, etc.).
- America's Library: from the
Library of Congress. Meet famous Americans from history, explore the United States, and
watch videos or hear audio from American history.
- Castles on the Web: an exhaustive resource for
kids who'd like to learn about castles.
- This Day In History: a great
feature that helps kids get into history. It's especially fun to see what happened on your birthday.
- BBC History for Kids: so much good stuff here. Interactive timelines, games, and lots of great information.
Government Sites for Kids
- FirstGov for Kids: a portal to lots of great
kids government sites; includes information on health, homework, money, arts, computers, etc.
- White House Kids Home Page: history of the White
House and personal notes from the President and Vice President, videos, quizzes, and more.
- FEMA for Kids: Get educated about preparing and
preventing disasters from Herman the FEMA spokescrab.
- EPA Environmental Kids Club: Kids can get information here
about anything to do with the environment; air, water, recycling, even an "Ask EPA" feature.
- Ben's Guide to US Government for Kids: Pick an age
range and then start exploring; there's a ton of great information here.
- The United States Mint for Kids: find out all about the
United States Mint, currency, and coins.
Kids Books and Kids Stories
- Professor Garfield: Interactive stories, comic strip creation, and reading/writing practice from the iconic Garfield himself.
- Storyline Online: from the Screen Actors
Guild Foundation; an online streaming video program featuring SAG members reading books out loud.
- Seussville: come on, it's Dr. Seuss! Need I say more?
- The Magic School Bus: The Magic School Bus
has done more to advance interest in science with my kids than almost any other resource.
- Harry Potter: fans of Harry Potter
will enjoy this site full of great Harry Potter news and fun interactive games.
- Little House on the Prairie: I got these books
as a child and now I'm reading them to my own kids. A timeless set of stories, and a great companion Web site.
- International Children's Digital Library: "a
library for the world's children...."that provides free access to children's books from around the world."
- StoryNory: free children's audio stories; great for burning onto a CD.
- Kiddie Records Weekly: My favorite kids site. My kids
love listening to these classic stories.
General Kid Web Sites
- PBS Kids: All the
best PBS kids shows are represented here, from Barney to Mr. Rogers, and each show
has its own games and interactive educational fun stuff.
- Discovery Kids: Discovery Kids is a great
kids portal, with lots of fun interactive games, videos, and information about various
shows on the Discovery network.
- National Geographic Kids: One of the
best sites on the Web for kids. Games, cartoons, even a printable coloring book.
- HowStuffWorks: Want to know how pretty much
anything works? This is the place to go.
- Sports Illustrated for Kids: a great way for kids to learn about their favorite sport.
Do you have a favorite kids site that you don't see listed here? Shoot me an email
and I'll try to include it.