What is Drop.io?:
Note: Drop.io was acquired by Facebook in 2010.
Drop.io is a free file hosting/file sharing site with extra features such as real-time collaboration, phone drops of data, and content backup.
What can I use Drop.io for?:
- a free fax machine
- voice conferencing
- sharing files with multiple people
- content backup
- sending extremely large files
- creating public image galleries
Suffice it to say, it's a very useful site!
How do I use Drop.io to host and share files?:
- Click on the green button labeled "Create a Drop".
- You'll instantly be taken to a file management page. To the right, you'll notice you and your files have been assigned a unique email address, voice mail, and conference call number.
- If you want to change settings, you can set up an Admin password. If you forget your password or want to change your email, you'll want to set up the Recovery Email.
- Click on "Add". Browse to your file. Upload your file.
- Your file is uploaded.
What can I do with my data once it's been uploaded to Drop.io?:
What else can I use Drop.io for?:
Is Drop.io free?:
All the features mentioned in this article: voice mail, real-time collaboration, etc. - are all free, plus, you get up to 100MB of storage for your files.
Drop.io is free for users who stay under the 100MB storage limit, which is just fine if you're sticking to Word documents or PDF files. However, if you plan on using Drop.io to share larger files, such as music or videos, you'll probably want to look into upgrading to Drop.io Premium.