For the purpose of this tutorial, I'm going to follow the Windows instructions just because I have a Windows operating system. Here are the basic system requirements you'll need to run Skype (these are subject to change as Skype is updated):
- PC running Windows 2000 or XP. (Windows 2000 users require DirectX 9.0 for video calls).
- Internet connection (broadband is best, GPRS is not supported for voice calls, and results may vary on a satellite connection).
- Speakers and microphone; built-in or separate. (note: compare prices on the top desktop microphones or various popular microphone brands.)
- A webcam, if you want to make video calls.
- We also recommend that you have at least 400 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM and 15 MB free disk space on your hard drive.