Search engines are some of the most useful tools on the planet, but what if you're not sure how to use them? There's a lot more to these amazing tools than what you might think. Here are six in-depth tutorials that have been featured here at About Web Search; these are the ones that you need to read in order to know how search engines really work, how you can make them find what you're looking for, and best of all, how you can find anything, no matter how complicated.
- How does a search engine work?: Search engines are some of the most complicated programs/tools on the planet. They retrieve billions of results generated by an even greater number of queries, and most of use one (or more) of them several times a day. But how do they work? What is really going on inside your favorite search tool? This easy to read article gives you a quick glimpse inside the inner workings.
- Do search engines search the entire Web?: When you're using a search engine to scour the Web for something, are you really looking everything that has ever been placed on the Internet, or just a portion? In other words, how do you really know what your search query is really bringing back to you? One thing you can know for certain is that what you're looking at when you get your search results is just a tiny portion of the actual Web - which makes using several different search engines a much better idea. Clear as mud? Read the article and it will become much clearer, I promise.
- How to find a website: Search engines make it easy for you to find what you're looking for, in some ways. However, there are times when search engines just can't find what it is that you're looking for, no matter how you frame your query. Here's a few other methods you can try.
- How to pick a search engine: There's no set rule in place that says you have to use the same search engine every time you look for something. In fact, most search industry experts would advise you to do the exact opposite in order to get the most well-rounded results. Every search engine serves up different results, sometimes drastically so.
- Top Ten Google Search Tricks: While Google is definitely the search engine of choice for most people, there's a lot more to it than just tracking down Wikipedia articles and finding cute cat pics. Learn how you can make your Google searches more powerful than you ever thought you could.
- Top ten Web search tricks: Do you use the same basic Web search technique every time you look for something? If you do, you're not alone...most people are "stuck in a rut" when it comes to their search habits. With a few simple tweaks, you can make your Web searches more targeted and therefore much more effective