You can use the Web to find potential unclaimed property. Here are a few of the best sites to find out if you have possible unclaimed property available to you:
- Unclaimed Property Search by State: This is a great resource with every state that offers a Web site for their unclaimed property information available.
- Unclaimed Property-Every State: NAUPA (National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators) has a great unclaimed property site; just click on your state.
- Texas Unclaimed Property: "From a long-dormant bank account to a forgotten utility deposit or family heirloom in an abandoned safe deposit box, the state may be holding valuable property that belongs to you. If so, I want to return your property to you."
- California Unclaimed Property: "The State of California is holding more than $4.8 billion in Unclaimed Property."
- Florida Unclaimed Property: "Currently, the Chief Financial Officer holds unclaimed property accounts valued at more than $1 billion."
- SearchSystems.net: Great resource that lists unclaimed property by state and county.
- USA.gov Unclaimed Property and Monies: Search by state, see if you are owed a pension from a former employer, find out if you have a tax refund owed, and much more.