Ah, the most blessed word in the English language...."free". If you're concerned about how safe your computer is when you venture out onto the Web, then you'll want to check out the following three free software packages you can use to keep yourself protected from nasty viruses, spyware, and other nefarious shenanigans.
- Avast: A free anti-virus software protection program. I have this running on my machine and it works great.
- AVG: A little less powerful than Avast, but still worth a download. Very fast, very light.
- Malwarebytes: Protection against malware, spyware, and other bad stuff.
Do you have a favorite tool for protecting yourself online? Let's hear it in the comments.
More about staying safe on the Web
- Conceal Your Search Habits: Most search engines and Web sites track your searching habits. If you're not comfortable with that, you'll need to read this article.
- Common Sense Web Safety: There are a few simple rules that, if followed, will keep you and yours completely safe online.
- Web Safety Quiz: Not sure how safe you are on the Web? Take this quiz and find out.
- About Antivirus Software: If you're looking for the definitive guide to staying virus-free, this is it.
image courtesy sxc.hu