1. Computing
Wendy Boswell

Three easy ways to search for people on Facebook

By April 23, 2010

how to search for people on facebook If you're on Facebook, and you'd like to find someone you're not friends with, here's how you can do it.

First, in order to see the full results of your search, you'll need to sign up for Facebook. If you're already a member, go ahead and login.

1. Go to the find your friends on Facebook page. You have a number of options here: find people you know by email, find people you know by last name, find people on your IM (instant messenger) list, browse for people alphabetically (this is somewhat tedious) or browse Facebook pages by name.
  2. Use your Facebook friends as a resource. Click on their Friends and choose the "See All" option to scroll through their list of friends. This is a great way to find someone in common that you might have forgotten about.
  3. Use the Facebook Suggestions link (found to the right of your news stream) as a jumping off point. You'll not only see potential friends and fan pages here, but if you scroll down a little, you'll also see an opportunity to search within your groups: college, high school, workplace, camps, etc.

How do you like to search for people on Facebook? Give us your tips in the comments below.

More about Facebook

• How to Unblock Facebook : One of the most popular social networking sites on the Web today is Facebook, a site that you can use to connect with other people in your circle. However, sometimes Facebook is blocked, meaning you can't get to it from where you access the Web.
  • Find a Person with 15 People Search Engines : Finding people on the Web is getting easier and easier. Here are fifteen people search engines you can use to find the person you're looking for on the Web.
  • Use the Web to Find Someone: Need to find someone? Here's a step by step guide to finding someone on the Web using tools and services that are designed to find people online.
Comments
July 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm
(1) Isktasi says:

Thanks Wendy. But when searching for friends in “Find your Friends” page, I get a lot of results matched with the search words. They are from various countries but I would like to search the person within my country. Suppose I would like to search all people called “Wendy” only within United States. I will get a refine search option. But it’s very deep. I can only search for people only for particular city there, not the whole country. That means I cannot filter the search with “United States” but I can filter it “Naples, FL, US”. But I want to search within a huge range so that I do not need to search there again with “orlando, FL, US”, “Sunrise, FL, US” etc. I just want to search with “US” or “FL, US”. But filtering with this does not bring the people that comes with the specific city filtering. What’s the solution.

October 8, 2010 at 8:20 pm
(2) kris says:

same problem. why is it so hard? it says region, but as you saif it wants exact city.

October 9, 2010 at 12:28 am
(3) Wendy says:

Hey guys, I have the same issue, hopefully Facebook is fixing these problems! Try your search again and let me know what happens.

October 16, 2010 at 5:53 pm
(4) Mauro says:

To further add to what’s already been stated, if you do choose to go through the tedious process of going through your search alphabeticaly, page by page, you’re confronted by repeated profiles and some profiles don’t even match your keyword. I have always disliked facebook. I don’t see why the whole world is going stupid over it.

November 8, 2010 at 8:09 pm
(5) Andrew says:

I totally agree with Mauro. I did a google search for this and found this page full of comments about the exact issue. The guy is a billionaire and I really don’t see what is so great about facebook. Do they even know about this problem? You would think it is one of the first things they would fix. Do they even try to use their own site?
I’ve wasted hours on facebook just trying to do a simple thing and have almost given up on it. Hopefully it will become less popular once the fad wears off. I can’t understand this modern world, they jump onto things like this and yet we can’t even work out how to use it. Social networking has been around for years and everyone treats this like its the latest technology. If you can’t do a simple thing like ‘search for friends in your own country on facebook’ then why is it so popular??? Beats me.

December 5, 2010 at 1:26 am
(6) Crazy Tasty says:

It seems FaceBook is always changing sh!t. Sometimes for the better, but for the most part, they make it worse…

January 8, 2011 at 12:19 am
(7) Jeff says:

So just how do you find someone who has their last maiden name change due to marriage. You can put in their maiden name but who knows where that will take you.

January 25, 2011 at 10:37 pm
(8) Ben says:

yeah, isn’t the worlds most popular site awful. tools.