This week's top search according to Google Insights is Plenty of Fish, an extremely popular free online dating site that was down for a few hours this week due to an overloaded server (thus explaining why the search term was so popular; people were trying to figure out where it went). Let's see how these searches break down:
- Regionally, Canada produced the most searches for Plenty of Fish, which makes sense because it is a Canadian site. Within Canada, Nova Scotia, Alberta, and Manitoba were the provinces that searched for this term the most.
- In addition to the term "plenty of fish", searchers looked for "plentyoffish", "plentyoffish login", or "plentyoffish.com".
- The search for news about Plenty of Fish peaked on June 8, the day that the servers went down.
- People looking for Plenty of Fish also looked for Match.com and LavaLife, two other popular online dating sites.
- The abbreviation for Plenty of Fish, "pof", was an extremely popular search term, especially in Ontario, Canada.
Searches for Plenty of Fish leveled out quickly after June 8's server issues were ironed out.
For more information on Plenty of Fish and other free online dating sites, check out the Top 12 Free Online Dating Sites. Whether you're looking for romance or just a new friend, you can find both with my picks for the best free online dating sites on the Web.